About Me

My photo
Orem, Utah, United States
My name is Annie Campbell and 9 years ago my son was diagnosed with Autism. Over the years of treatments, therapies and schools (with my son) I have learned countless techniques for dealing with children with special needs. Through my experience in primary, I have come up with some specific tips to create a happy atmosphere in church.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Senior primary help

Last Sunday we came home with a very frustrated 8 year old boy. Our oldest, that has Autism, was getting upset because the senior primary lessons are a little too advanced for him. As a mom that is a fixer, my mind went crazy with ideas about how to make this better for him. After talking with my husband and discussing several ideas, my husband came up with the winner. We will begin having family home evening about my sons upcoming Sunday lesson. Sometimes I'm amazed the ideas that come from my husbands brain.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, I found you from Little LDS Ideas. As someone who (in my former non mommy days) worked with children on the spectrum and as a member of a primary presidency who has several children on the spectrum I am glad to find your blog. I just had a tearful conversation with a mom of 4 teens who have disabilities who feels like her kids were not assisted enough during primary and in other programs in the church. I feel for her and am eager to find ways to make sure another mom doesn't feel like the Church let her down. I'll be checking in often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to have found your blog. I am a Primary President and we have a boy in our Primary with Autism and suffering from anxiety. Already, I've found some great helps in your blog. I also found your above experience very inspiring.
    What a great patriarch of your family!! I love your husband's idea of teaching a FHE lesson to prepare your son for his Primary lesson!!

    Now to comment on Denise's comment above--Sadly, this is a real problem in the church. I would hope that leaders take a special interest in helping these children have great opportunities, even leadership opportunities. Parents also need to feel the arms of fellowship and understanding instead of unkind judgments and alienation. What can be done?

    ReplyDelete